Thursday, August 9, 2007

Parties, Parties, Everywhere!

I wasn't always a Republican.
In fact, the first vote I ever cast was for Al Gore in 2000 for my middle school's mock-election. My reason for that vote? Gore had colored hair.
I have now seen the error of my ways. The question remains, however, why? 9-11
made me aware of the outside world, but wy did I choose the values of the Conservative party?
Unlike my friend Mat, I didn't have the influence of my father. Hell, I didn't even know my father followed politics, let alone was a Republican.
I had no influence from the media either, as I didn't know enough to tell if there was a bias or not.
And if I had listened to everything my teachers told me, I'd be a raging liberal.
I seem to be an anomaly, with neither nature nor nurture shaping my political belief system.
The only explanation I have come up with is this: it just makes sense.
I can't fathom he idea of pulling out of Iraq. I don't understand how some people don't think Reaganomics works. How is the Fairness Doctorine fair? Why can't same-sex couples get married?
Yes, the last one doesn't line up with the Grand Old party, but I'm not one to be told what to thnk.
It's not blindness, it's logic.
I love The Daily Show, I think Bob Dylan is brilliany, and I support the president 100%.
How it happens, I do not know. I just thank my parents for raising my with the ability to think for myself.

No comments: