Tuesday, November 4, 2008

McCain Rally in Indianapolis

Yesterday I had the amazing honor and privilege of seeing Senator John McCain in Indianapolis. It all started Saturday night when I received a frantic text telling me he would be here on Monday. i quickly responded and said I would gladly put in three hours of volunteer work in order to earn my ticket. When I got back to Bloomington, I arrived at the GOP headquarters and called voters for three hours straight.

I then came home and slept, as I was exhausted. I woke up the next morning, took my Spanish exam, then headed home to prepare to leave. I picked up Keith at the Union, and we were off!

We had to venture to Downtown Indianapolis to get our tickets. We are horrible at looking, so Keith got out and I drove around the circle for a while. He got our tickets, and we headed off for the Airport, where the rally was to be held. We parked in a field, and took a bus to the rally point.



Look at the sniper!!

The line wasn't too bad at that point, so we waited, as there was no other choice.


We had VIP tickets to sit in the bleachers, but we decided we wanted autographs and hand shakes, so we sat with the people.


We were so close!!!

A country group played and several people spoke. Then the Straight Talk Express flew over and landed.


Mitch Daniels and Senator Lindsay Graham then came and shook hands with the crowd and signed autographs. Both of which I got!


Then McCain came off of the plane as "Eye of the Tiger" played, along with Senator Joseph Leiberman, Cindy McCain, and Meghan McCain.

The Governor introducing Senator McCain



McCain spoke with a mic in hand, until it died. Then he went to the podium. Such a maverick move, eh? He spoke with such passion and enthusiasm. Even the little boy who was standing next to me was enraptured and everyone was caught up in the moment. McCain then walked around shaking hands along with his wife.


I cannot believe that this year I have had the opportunity to meet Governor Daniels and to see both Governor Sarah Palin and Senator McCain. All events were worth the classes and homework I skipped to be there. I will never have the opportunity to experience this again. No matter what happens tonight, I know I got to be an eyewitness to history and I participated as much as possible in the democratic process. While I hope for the best, and am optimistically worried about tonight, I know that I did all I could to elect John McCain the next President of the United States and had so many once in a lifetime experiences. This was a year I will never forget!

No comments: