Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sudden Realizations

Around midday last Monday, a sudden realization came to me.

On Tuesday, Barack Obama will be sworn in as the next President of the United States.

It seems like such a long time has passed since November. I know that every day on the news there is something about a new cabinet appointment of Obama's, what dog he is going to bring to the White House (like it really matters) and his plans for his first day in office.

None of this seemed to phase me thought. It all seemed like random news bits that didn't matter. All of it showed the progression towards his swearing in, but none of it seemed that way.

That is, until Thursday and President Bush's farewell address to the nation. I will admit with pride that I am one of the 22% of Americans that approve of his job as president, and I have for the last eight years. I have, without hesitation, expressed my disgust with those wearing "Not My President" shirts or those attacking his family or character. It is fine to disagree with his policies and decisions, but he is everyone's president. If you don't like it, become a citizen of another country.

And to this end, I refuse to participate with some who choose to disrespect President-Elect Obama by calling him "Barry" or "B. Hussein Obama," as Ann Coulter does repeatedly in her latest book. I will not wish him ill or hope for misfortune to come his way.

I hope he has a successful presidency. That he brings prosperity to America and manages to turn our economic crisis around. He is my president, whether I like it or not, and whether I voted for him or not. America has spoken and, while I believe that they made a horribly wrong decision, I have to live with it. Because I am an American and believe in democracy, even when the results of it are not those I hoped for.

However, I do not wish too much luck for the President-Elect, for I am fully confident in a Republican victory in 2012! Giuliani/Daniels, anyone?

No comments: