Monday, November 2, 2009

A Woman Without A Party

Like many Americans, I have recently been reevaluating my political stance.

No, my views are not changing.

But my party is.

I am now a woman without a party.

Ronald Reagan famously said, "I didn't leave the democratic party. The democratic party left me." And I'm feeling the same way, but about the republican party.

I was under the impression that the republican party was for limited government. I guess I was wrong. They are for limited government...except when it comes to personal issues. The party is staunchly against gay marriage and abortion. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with gay rights. How does it affect me if two people of the same gender love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together? it doesn't. So why not allow it?

When it comes to abortion, I think it should be left up to the states, like the constitution says (the same with gay marriage). I don't like the idea of killing babies, but I don't like the idea of the government controlling people's bodies either.

However, fiscally and foreign policy, I am right with the republicans. Maybe I'm not "religious" enough for them. I dunno. For now, I'm in search of a party. I don't know if I want to continue going to College Republican meetings. They're so gung-ho for republican ideals and principles, when I no longer am.

So I am posting this note as a classified ad: Desperately Seeking Political Party. Must accept my views, even if you don't agree with them.

No comments: