Monday, February 2, 2009

On Stem Cells, Blago, and Editorial Pages

Anyone else think it is a bad idea for Blago to have Drew Peterson's PR guy working to better his name? I don't typically want the people who represented a man who had three wives mysteriously disappear trying to clear my name, but I don't live on Planet Blago.

Blago appeared on every television show known to man today including The View, Good Morning America, and, where I would personally recommend going when you need to restore your credibility and proclaim your innocence, a street interview with Geraldo. This guy is off the deep end, and I love it. His impeachment trial starts today, and I don't think he really cares. Despite the enormous amount of evidence against him, I am fairly certain that he believes he will be found innocent and continue his job as governor of Illinois. In the words of Hermione Granger: What. An. Idiot.

Please sit down before continuing: I am going to praise President Obama. Yes, 911 is the correct number to call if you are having a heart attack right now. President Obama has expressed his commitment to increase funding for Stem Cell research- one of President Bush's handful of pardons. I have always been a supporter of stem-cell research. I believe that this line of medical study holds huge promise, particularly in the area of Parkinson's Disease. I am no expert on the science involved, but my understanding is that stem cells can become anything. Yes, embryonic stem cells can become babies, but they can become livers and hearts and many other things, according to my understanding. Why allow a "potential" person to sit in a freezer when it could be helping to save the life of someone who is already alive? I differ from many Conservatives in that I believe in preserving life that already exists as opposed to life that may potentially exist, and I applaud President Obama for allowing federal funds for stem-cell research.

Lastly, I received yet another example of why I have been refused the position of opinion columnist for the Indiana Daily Student 4 semesters running. Today's editorial page consisted of 4, I believe, editorials praising President Obama, calling him Superman, and congratulating him on closing Guantanamo Bay. It also doesn't help my cause that the opinions editor wrote two articles a few weeks ago expressing his complete love of Hilary Clinton.

Ah, the perils of being a college conservative.

No comments: